FUDCon Pune: Money Notes

No, this post isn’t about FUDCon-branded currency, though we’d love to have those!

In addition to herding cats, I’m also keeping tabs on a spreadsheet that lists the various expenses we will incur and whether we’re within our allotted budget.  The summary is that we’re doing fine, and are nowhere near declaring bankruptcy (yet).

Right from the start of the FUDCon planning process, Rahul and I have been sitting together, thinking of all the expenses we’d have to incur and the income sources we have. The details were computed on that spreadsheet to begin with and a few highlights were put on the FUDCon wiki.  All this before we even submitted our bid.  We were given a budget of $15,000 from the Fedora Project, and before we submitted our bid, we would have to be sure we could pull the event off.

Now, of course, as the event is almost upon us, we have a much better idea on things and instead of the hand-waving, we have concrete numbers.

Foremost, the folks at the College of Engineering, Pune, the venue for the event, are graciously sponsoring the auditorium as well as classrooms for the talks. They are also sponsoring the Internet bandwidth and electricity.  This takes off a lot of monetary burden from the budget.

In addition to the $15,000 from the Fedora Project, groups within Red Hat Pune have given us an additional $8,000: $2000 from Red Hat GSS and $6000 by Red Hat Engineering (they initially gave us $3000, but later raised by another $3000).

According to current calculations, we’re going to be spending $19,047 out of the $23,000 that we have.

The spreadsheet has all the details, of course, but a rough breakdown is:

Travel + Stay: $8918
Food: $1563
FUDPub: $3750
Swag, Banners, Posters: $4088
Infrastructure: $730

Those are the major categories. We’re still unsure of the local travel costs (Mumbai – Pune – Mumbai and hotel – venue as well as venue – FUDPub venue), so I’ve used some rough figures, they should get confirmed by this weekend.

We decided to sponsor speakers and volunteers’ lunch on each day, FUDPub (beer + food on Saturday) for speakers and volunteers, travel to/from COEP to FUDPub venue, and travel and stay (includes breakfast) for out-station speakers.

We have some money earmarked for infrastructure (wireless repeaters, access points, power plugs, power extension boards) that we think may be lacking at COEP.

The FUDPub budget got increased a bit recently as we had to hunt for a covered space to host it instead of in the open, as planned earlier. The rainy season may have passed, but the rains are continuing to pour in Pune. The last week has, in fact, recorded the highest rainfall for this season. Scouting for new venues has in fact been a positive thing: we now have a really great place to go to with great facilities (and food, and music, and of course, beer!). This also means we’ll have to arrange for some local transportation for ferrying the people from COEP to the FUDPub venue and back, but we believe it all is going to be worth the extra effort and money.

Running this conference is proving to be a real joy ride. It’s fun especially because of the tireless and fantastic volunteers. I’ll post about all of them in a later note. I don’t really want to distract them from their work into re-reading praises about them.

FUDCon Pune 2011 F2F Meeting Minutes: 13 Oct

Names in bold have action items against them; please follow up with me / Rahul on progress.

From http://openetherpad.org/ep/pad/view/fudcon-pune-planning/8hnDjIyKnH

13 Oct 2011

Attendees: Amit Shah, Rahul Sundaram, Kashyap Chamarthy, PJP, Saleem Ansari, Shakthi Kannan, Anurag Patel, Satya, Murty, Shreyank, Ramki

  • Design
    • Add COEP, Red Hat logos to banners before printing
    • Suchakra on it
  • Booklet
    • Ankur Sinha on it
    • Welcome letter from Jared received
    • Aiming for completion by this weekend (Oct 16)
  • Call for localisations — translations of blog posts?
  • Website – Saleem
    • Upgrade tier on hosting – site gets unavailable often
    • To blog about new site and registration / talk submisison there.
  • Catering
    • the places for stalls are identified within COEP campus
    • cucoon requested for an extra room to keep the MRP items as they called them, they don’t want to carry things back and forth for 3 days
    • Cucoon wants to setup Staellite Kitchen
      • For heating food
    • TODO: send them a final menu
      • PJP to do this ASAP
    • Setup Coupons for Speaker Lunches
      • Another item for printing

       

  •  Wifi and power supply at COEP – Shreyank
    • the only power points the audi has are near the stage
    • and they have only 2 wifi access points in there.. so they say at max 30 people can be accommodated
    • wifi repeaters/routers — 30K ~ cost — Get back to this.
    • the rooms mostly have power points on both sides. Though we’ll need the longer extension cords along with the power strips — We have 14
    • 15 amps junction box — Mr. Murthy will take a look at it on Saturday.
  • Inauguration ceremony
    • Some traditional welcome and opening for the event
    • Talk from the director
    • Begins at 8
  • TODO on staurday at COEP
    • Electricity checks – Shrink + Murty
    • Wifi Router/ Repeater checks — Ensure things are working
      • Shrink: ensure there’s a wifi signal in the rooms we will be allotted.  This makes sure we only need repeaters / signal boosters or if we need to add routers too.
    • Identify banner sites and sizes to be printed depending on the locations. – Rahul
    • Posters need to be put around the campus
    • Check for viability and setup place for satellite kitchen – PJP + Murty
    • Meet Volunteer team; get them all together once for briefing – pick a suitable time – Rahul
  • FUDPub
    • Need to arrange commute for people from COEP -> FUDPub
    • Anurag handling FUDPub at venue
    • Volunteer team from COEP to be prepped on handling outflow of people from COEP to FUDPub venue.
      • Satya to talk to volunteer team about this
  • Tshirt
    • 15 OCT — A sample tshirt will be provided.
  • Travel
    • Rahul will send spreadsheet info to Murthy w/ details of international people and their travel schedule.
    • Murty will arrange for cabs for Mumbai-Pune (and back) travel
  • General Volunteer team meeting
    • This saturday — 15 OCT 2011
  • Fedora Mirror Setup
    • F15, F16, Rawhide trees are synced
    • Saturday(15-OCT) — to check 
    • Kashyap to work w/ Rahul
  • Talks
  • As we approach final stages, we should have a draft talk schedule ready to avoid last-minute hiccups
    • Should be ready about 10 days before event
  • Coupons for ‘Lunch – day 1’, ‘Lunch – day 2’, ‘Tshirt’, ‘Swag’ printed and given to participants
    • Still under discussion for best way to do this
  • F16 release too late to produce media; instead have a computer do isotousb conversions for participants
  • countdown timer for blogs?
    • Saleem + Rahul to look at this.
  • Swag
    • Lanyard
      • ₹12 per piece from Venus traders
      • Delivered.
    • Mugs
      • Kushal to get quotes
    • Buttons
      • Kushal to pick logo
  • Registration desk – Satya
    • users need to register during FUDcon
    • Printer, power, laptop, papers and volunteers required for registration desk
    • need to have coupons for ‘lunch’, ‘swag’, etc.

  • FAD – Shakthi
  • Videographing
    • No progress — will drop this.

Deadlines, budgets:
http://goo.gl/H91N1

———————————————————

FUDCon Pune Planning F2F Minutes: 4 Oct 2011

From
http://openetherpad.org/ep/pad/view/fudcon-pune-planning/GjAzZ26xJ9

 4 Oct 2011
 ——————-
 Attendees: Amit Shah, Rahul Sundaram, Kashyap Chamarthy, PJP, Saleem Ansari, Shakthi Kannan, Anurag

  • Catering
    • Quotation is for min. 150 people; budget is for 100 people sponsored
      • This won’t result in a min. payment to the vendor; just an estimate for the vendors to get appropriate amount of food
    • Division of veg/non-veg boxes?
      • Suggestion to caterer for veg box + additional non-veg item for people who need it
        • Will be clarified in Monday’s meeting
    • Meeting with cocoon on Monday – PJP
      • All questions to be addressed then
    • Confirm with COEP about stalls at the FAD
  • FUDPub
    • Vendors (place + food) to be notified of day change: Sat instead of Sun
      • At Monday’s meeting
    • To confirm with some new vendor for beer on Friday
  • Update on Tshirts
    • Order placed today; to be delivered by 25th Oct
    • Vendor selected: Cavaal Clothing
  • Vertical banner design
    • Suchakra to create this weekend.
    • Generic Fedora design is ready (can be used for other events)
  • Rahul put up speaker guidelines on the wiki
  • As we approach final stages, we should have a draft talk schedule ready to avoid last-minute hiccups
  • Coupons for ‘Lunch – day 1’, ‘Lunch – day 2’, ‘Tshirt’, ‘Swag’ printed and given to participants
    • Still under discussion for best way to do this
  • F16 release too late to produce media; instead have a computer do isotousb conversions for participants
  • countdown timer for blogs?
    • Saleem + Rahul to look at this.
  • Fedora Mirror
    • Kashayp got the Fedora trees (15, 16, Updates, Rawhide — i386, x86_64 archs) on a hard disk.
  • Comm. with participants
    • flights
      • locals – two not booked
      • foreign – 3 out of 9 booked; Harish decided to book others. waiting on passport info.
    • Satya handling all other stuff, well on track.
  • Swag
    • Lanyard
      • ₹12 per piece from Venus traders
      • To place order on 4th Oct for 500 pieces- PJP
        • Delivery in a week
    • Mugs
      • Kushal to get quotes
    • Buttons
      • Kushal to pick logo
  • Website Info
  • Registration 
    • users need to register during FUDcon
    • Printer, power, laptop, papers and volunteers required for registration desk
    • need to have coupons for ‘lunch’, ‘swag’, etc.
  • FAD – Shakthi
    • Two FADs now scheduled
    • 1st on 24th Sep at RH officedone
    • 2nd run on 8th of October at COEP
      • https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Pune_2011
      • Check power sockets
        • Should get a big 15A power points; connection should be from COEP mains
        • Get 3-4 of the 15A ones
        • Get 10-15 smaller ones
      • Test Internet Bandwidth
      • Mic, Projectors for classrooms
      • Fedora Mirror
      • Issue a ‘call for routers’ – more routers the better to ensure connectivity
      • Test-run of the COD — registration, QR code, etc.
      • Identify student volunteers and get their numbers.
      • Handy cams for recording
      • Restrooms locations
      • Speakers loungue
      • Place to store speakers food boxes,  100 of them
      • Consult with law enforcement authorities if necessary
      • Check with COEP for putting up stalls for catering
      • Check for FOSS stalls as well
      • Try out Fedora multi-live-usb for transferring live iso to multiple usb sticks – Rahul has details.
  • Videographing
    • Ramki to follow up – updates next week.
  • Infrastructure
    • Power strips — 10 units, need to buy.

Deadlines, budgets:
http://goo.gl/H91N1